About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 5: Final Weekly Review & Overall Project Reflection

1. This week my goal was to drink 64 oz. of tap water from my Nalgene 5 days/wk. I achieved this goal, but barely.
www.treehugger.com
2. I decided to increase my intake from 56oz to 64oz, and I definitely could tell the difference (even it only being 8 oz!). I didn't drink as much water as I should have in the beginning, so the last few days I needed to play catch-up and drink a lot more water than I am used to. This made me feel like it was more of a punishment than an enjoyable experience. I did succeed in continuing to carry my water bottle around with me everywhere, even though it is rather heavy and obnoxious to have on me all of the time. 
3. I felt very full at the times when I was forcing myself to drink more water, and definitely had to pee a lot more!! But I did feel very hydrated while I worked out this week, this makes me feel like it was all worthwhile. I usually have to take several breaks to drink water during workouts, and I felt that this need decreased significantly. 
4. I learned that no matter how difficult it may be to reach this goal, it really does benefit me in the end, and I need to start looking at the good aspect of things (hydration!) and keep a positive outlook on how it helps me out in the end.
5. I will keep my goal of 64 oz of water 5 days/wk because though I did reach it this week, it was a struggle to get there. I think that I need to slowly train myself into it.

OVERALL REFLECTION
1. My beginning SMART goal was to drink 64 oz. of tap water from my Nalgene 5 days a week. Throughout the weeks, I have gone back and forth between the amount being 64 oz. or 56 oz. of tap water 5 days/wk.
2. Buying a BPA-free water bottle in the beginning is was really helped me through. It would be difficult to measure how much you've actually drank without something to go by. Weekends got in my way when I didn't carry my water bottle with me, and ended up drinking other beverages instead of water. I am going to continue to bring my water bottle with me everywhere.
3. Benefits I've received from this project were more energy, more hydration and an overall feeling of cleanliness and health. I learned that I can change my behavior if I really feel that I am capable of doing so (self-efficacy!!). I pushed myself to do this, and now I feel like it's a part of my norm. I actually love water.
4. I feel like I've motivated people to drink more water, by showing all of the improvements I've made throughout this project. It's not an entirely difficult change, but it does wonders!!! Also, I haven't been purchasing disposable water bottles, so I have been saving energy simply by doing that. 
5. Yes, I plan on continuing this behavior. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, and I feel much better now that I have started this.
6. Keep motivating yourself, or find other's to join you. If you find yourself slacking, alter your techniques so that it fits with your lifestyle. The only way to achieve your goal is to keep pushing forward! Hopefully it will soon become a natural behavior. 




Blogged for the Eco-chic lifestyle change Week 5: Update and Reflection, Hosted by Amy@Amy In The Rain

6 comments:

  1. Drinking water seems to have been very beneficial for you. It is encouraging for me to see your results to try to increase my water intake, probably not as high of an extent as yours but something is better than nothing. I hope you continue your goal even after this class and further enjoy the benefits it provides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this has been such a great experience for you! I can imagine the change that even 8 ounces can make! Sometimes I struggle to even drink a water bottle if I'm not thirsty! Great work, hopefully you can continue to reach your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really struggle with the amount of water I drink, so you have been very inspiring for me! It's great that there have been so many positive effects that drinking more water has put into your life. I definitely agree that having a refillable water bottle helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you plan on continuing the behavior, I feel like the results of our goals our similar, even though mine was eating fruits and veggies; feeling clean, refreshed, healthy, etc. It goes to show that the closer you are to consuming natural products, the better you feel! And great advice at the end! Good job overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job in achieving your goal! Water is so important to our body and all of it's functions so I am glad you chose this SMART goal. I carry a water bottle everywhere I go so I know how "annoying" it can get at times, but it is WAY worth it in the end. Nice work =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water is boring sometimes, but I'm impressed that you increased your overall intake of it! I see you around the fitness center alot so you need to make sure that you are replacing the water you sweat off (that's my fit tip for you lol). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete