About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Share & Voice: the Big Daddy System

coconino.az.gov

    I've always thought that it was all up to the mother to make sure their child is born healthy. No alcohol, no smoking, need of folate etc... until I came across an article called Big Daddy System. This article found that anything from pesticides to inhalations of  paints, to drinking or smoking habits, can contribute to that males future children's prenatal health. It has been shown that many abnormalities can occur from the father's way of living. I thought this was pretty interesting, because no one really thinks about how the father should act prior to conception, when in reality it is something that needs to be further cautioned. Toxins, cigarette smoke and other harmful substances are something that EVERYONE must be aware of, and keep in safe distance so not to harm not only the individuals, but their future offspring. If you're curious to hear more on this topic, please feel free to read further into the article provided. 

    5 comments:

    1. You're right, no one thinks of this at all! This reminds me of when my friend was pregnant, her fiance would smoke cigarettes around her and not think twice about the baby! I also found it interesting that males on certain antidepressants have "sperm fragmentation" which increase chances of miscarriage. Very interesting article! Great find, Elly!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I had no idea all those things could be involved! Its scary to think that we need to plan so far in advance for things later in life. We all need to to take care of ourselves and watch what environments were in and what chemicals we are breathing in.

      ReplyDelete
    3. This is very interesting. I guess I don't ever think of this either! If you think about it though it does make sense sperm does carry genes that will be given to the baby so I guess these things would be transfered over!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have NEVER thought about this, but I guess it makes sense! I guarantee NO guys have this cross their minds either. It's very interesting, and I hope that the article makes some people think twice about their actions!

      ReplyDelete
    5. This is so true. It's kind of funny how we just assume that only the female has that great of impact on the baby. The male donates his sperm which is full of his genetics and toxins, which in turn is transferred to the baby. This is a great article, good find Elly!

      ReplyDelete