About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advocacy Project: Hummers, SUVS, gas-guzzling cars...how big is YOUR footprint?

Hummers, SUVS, gas-guzzling cars.... how big is YOUR footprint? 
Purpose: A need for an immediate switch to alternative modes of transportation to reduce motor vehicle emissions


co2-chart.gif
Rising CO2 concentrations in air in past decades
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is defined as a gas that is the waste product of cell respiration and the combustion of fossil fuels. Types of fossil fuels are coal, natural gas and petroleum, which all contain hydrocarbons.


The amount of CO2 being emitted from human activities is exceeding the natural rate of the carbon cycle. Activities, such as burning of fossil fuels, contribute to the 22% extra CO2 addition to our atmosphere. This rise in CO2 concentration, in turn, adds to the effects of global warming by 50-60%, causing major concern for our environment. Climate change, storm activity, and melting of ice caps all occur as a result of global warming. 


The adverse effects of these vehicle emissions not only cause damaging effects to our environment, but to our health. It can affect respiratory function causing breathing difficulties (i.e. asthma), headaches, and dizziness to humans. 


It is estimated that more than 20,000 air pollution-related deaths per year, per degree celsius rise, have occurred worldwide. This greenhouse gas may be a leading factor in this statistic. 

Here is a list of the top 10 gas guzzling cars of 2010

10. Hummer H3 Alpha
9. GMC Sierra 1500 4WD
8. Nissan Armada 4WD
7. Lexus LX 570
6. Mercedes-Benz GL 550
5. Nissan Titan 4WD
4. Infiniti QX 56
3. Land Rover LR4
2. Land Rover Ranger Sport
1. Porsche Cayenne GTS.  
As you can tell by such evidence, the release of this greenhouse gas emission into our environment is creating problems that can be easily prevented if we simply take action on the matter. Below is a link to a carbon dioxide emissions calculator, that tells you how much you are contributing to its rising rate with the use of your own vehicle (if you own one).

CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSIONS CALCULATOR

If you need to convert your miles to KM, here is a website to do so:
Converter (miles to KM)

Reflection:
Once you receive your results, please briefly describe what you have discovered about your own use. What changes in your modes of transportation can you make in order to reduce your carbon footprint? Have you ever considered switching over to a more fuel-efficient model of car? Why or why not? What types of changes would you like to see in our current environment, that could promote you to drive your car less?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know that that much CO2 contributed to 50-60% to increasing global warming! Its scary to think of all the chemicals we are releasing into he air we breathe. Maybe from learning from this activity it will help us all to reduce our emissions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I have a Lexus- thank goodness it's not that one! Uffda (there's my MN accent for you, lol) Again, we never really see the big picture of all our little "mistakes" until everything is added up...20,000 related deaths. Way too many if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I have never really thought about CO2 emissions like this before. It's really scary that we are solely responsible for global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of CO2 being put into the air! It is not hard for me to believe that the Hummer is number one. I'm glad the demand for these has gone down in the last few years and I have seen less on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Dani, I was not surprised at all to see that a Hummer was number one. However, I did notice that a lot of the brands of cars that are considered to be pricey and a "luxury" were up there (Mercedes-bens, Lexus, Porche..) That is interesting to me. I don't see a need for people to have such expensive, gas-guzzling cars, especially when they are that bad for the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the kind of lexus that I want! Ha! Maybe I should stop dreaming about getting it. Of course Hummer is number 1! I agree with Kara, it's interesting that all these cars are the pricey ones! This is one of the rare times that something cheap is more likely to be better!

    ReplyDelete