About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 combined with Reflection: Overall Course

Weeks 13-14: The last few weeks we've been focused on our Junking Projects, advocacy project, and we took a class trip to Goodwill and got a tour. I'd say that the trip was my favorite, because it opened my eyes to see how much they really put into their company, and how much they care about reusing and reducing the amount of waste. Also, they provide jobs to those with disabilities. I never knew such things like how they take apart the pieces of mattresses, and use all of the different parts to make something else out of them. I think it's great that they spend time to do recycle all of the parts, even though it sounds like it's a very time consuming process. I think it's great that there are companies that put so much effort forth to continue the recycling chain.
The sharing of our junking projects was also fun. So many creative ideas were introduced and I think the class overall really got a feel for making everyday objects into something more meaningful and useful.

OVERALL COURSE: I'm not even sure where to begin. I've learned so much in this class, more than I thought was possible. I knew about some of the issues (animal farming, genetically modified foods, CO2 emissions) but I have never really gone into DEPTH on them. This class allowed me to dissect the information, and get a personal feel for the issues. We saw some very powerful documentaries that really made an impact on the class, especially "Tapped." I don't think many people knew just how much harm a plastic bottle can make. We each made a SMART goal for our eco-chic lifestyle change project, and the goals ranged from eating organically, taking public transit to school, and eating less meat and more vegetables/fruits. It was very influential to me, because we could see the documentation of how each week went for everyone. I got some new ideas, and insight on how to make the goal easier to reach, or how hard the goal was to obtain.
I've definitely become more aware of my impact to the environment, and what kinds of changes I can make to make my ecological footprint a little smaller. People need to be informed on all of these issues, in order to want to truly change!! It's amazing how many people are unaware of the harmful effects of water bottles, what actually goes on in the raising/killing process of the meat that we eat, the importance of buying local food products etc.
I feel that I'm much more cautious of the things that I eat/buy, and I owe it to Environmental Health. Every time I drive alone and don't carpool, every vegetable or fruit that I buy that isn't organic (I think about how it was grown, and what types of chemicals might be on it), new clothes that I purchase (when i could've bought it from a used clothes shop, and CHEAPER AS WELL!) I will not forget about all of these environmental issues, and I will continue to spread what I've learned to others.

4 comments:

  1. That's how I felt...there really is no place to begin because so much was covered! I'm trying to carpool as much as possible or at least only make the one trip. It's hard to do with all the running around and places I need to be. This class has given us a lot of information and we each were able to relate to it in some way, it makes us want to continue to talk and learn about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, we've covered so much in such a short amount of time. We've all learned how big of an impact our decisions make on our environment and can now use this information to make better choices. Its funny how much this class has changed us and how much more aware we are. Its good that you will continue to take what you've learned from this class and use it after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am extremely aware of the "stuff" I purchase. I just can't get the fact that we all throw 99% of our stuff away within the first month out of my head! I'm glad that the class had a great impact on you ass well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your junking project was super cool! I liked how you turned it into a decorative wall hanging just by gluing sticks to it. So simple! I also can't believe how much we have learned in such little time. I am glad to hear that this has impacted you as much as it has impacted me.

    ReplyDelete