About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 9-12

This semester has been speeding by, I can't believe this class is almost at it's end! For these past few weeks, we've been mainly focusing on our Advocacy Project and our eco-chic lifestyle change. I've learned who my political representatives are, and have been researching up on a Healthy People 2010 objective that deals with finding alternative forms of transportation. We did an issue overview on each of our objectives that we chose, and I found out a lot about who this issue affects and how it affects society and our economy. I've never really thought that far into some issues, and this assignment made me look deeper into this issue and really realize how important it is that I vote when I'm given the chance. My voice should be heard, because these objectives need to be met. 
For the eco-chic lifestyle change, we each made our own SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely) to work on throughout the remaining weeks of the semester. I chose to increase my intake of tap water, and use a BPA-free water bottle. I've really seen a difference in the amount of energy I've had since I've been working on my goal, and I feel so great that I'm actually able to obtain my goal each week. I've felt a sense of pride ever since I set this goal for myself. I know now that if I just make a conscious effort, I can achieve whatever I aim towards. 
We've been doing some other projects such as our photo essay, where we had to document some type of environmental health issue through photos and then present it to the class. Our junking project is in progress (we do it on our own time) and we had a mini junking project in class where we had to think of what we could make out of some random objects that were brought in. Now when I look around at things, I see it with a different view. I see not for what it IS, but what it CAN BE! I never knew that was such a creative thinker!

7 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have discovered how creative you can be! Junking has forced me to be more creative also! It can be hard to open up your mind to be creative at first but once you get going it gets a lot easier. It is really fun and I am glad youre learning just as much as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that Dr. V's junking activity was able to challenge you to 'think outside of the box' and enable you to be a creative thinker! I have been junking for a while and it is always exciting to see something old turn into something unique and useful! Do you know what you are going to do for your junking project yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also been impressed with the amount of stuff we have learned this semester. I think that this class has definitely been a life-changer. It's awesome that you feel such a feeling of accomplishment when it comes to your SMART goal; changing your lifestyle isn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really interested in some of the things we've been learning the past few weeks also. I feel as though by doing the SMART goals we are all improving ourselves and can then show others how to do so too. I'm excited to do our junking projects to see what types of things people can create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The junking activity really gave me a different side to look at things too. When I go out to buy things or am in need of something, I brainstorm the many possibilities that I can do to create it or use things in a different way. I agree that the advocacy project gave me a deeper understanding of the individual issues we choose to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think doing the eco-chic lifestyle change is a great incentive to get on track to a better lifestyle. We all wanted to but never had enough motivation to actually do it. Now that we've been obligated to do these things from class, we've formed habits that will stick with us for a while. The junking project will be a good incentive too, it's already been brought to our attention how bad it is to constantly buy new things. Have you started your junking project yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome that you see such a difference in your amount of energy just by drinking water! This is something I really need to start being more conscious of because I know I do not get the recommended amounts! Maybe if I set another SMART goal of this I would achieve it!

    ReplyDelete