About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 2: Weekly Update

1. My SMART goal was to drink 64 oz. of tap water 5 days/wk. Though I DID drink much more water than I usually do, I could not fully achieve this goal throughout the week.


2. I always keep my nalgene hooked onto my backpack at school, so that way I am reminded to constantly be drinking water. Also, a few times I exchanged beverages such as milk or iced tea with water at meals. As goofy as it sounds, a challenge that I faced was always having to go pee when I drank all of that water!! It's quite obnoxious having to go in between every class. Another challenge was that if I did not drink 64 oz one day during the week, I'd have to try and compensate over the weekend and I did not bring my water bottle with me everywhere, so I didn't know how much I was actually consuming. 


3. I've been actually very content with how hydrated I've been this last week. I rarely get the feeling of thirst, and it is actually becoming easier to incorporate water into my lifestyle as I continue on through the week. It is not so much as of a force to make me drink it, I actually WANT to drink it. 


4. I learned that it is so important to keep hydrated. I feel like I have more energy, and I know that it is actually refraining me from drinking other substances that may not be as beneficial. 


5. For week 2, I think that I will alter my goal a little by drinking 56 oz of water 5 days/wk, instead of 64 oz. The daily recommendation is 64 oz, but since I did not reach my goal every day for 5 days, I want to see if I can achieve it by lowering my intake by 8 oz (1 glass) of water. If I achieve my goal then, I plan on increasing my intake again. 


"Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 2 hosted by Amy@Amy in the Rain"

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you achieved your goal pretty well over all. It's great that you even exchanged other beverages for water, too. The rule of thumb is: Take your body weight and divide that in half and that's how many ounces you are supposed to be drinking per day! So keep that in mind, and if it goes with your goal, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea strapping your water bottle to your backpack, its a continual reminder to keep up with your goal. Although 64oz. is the daily recommendation it still seems like quite a bit. However, lowering your goal by just those 8oz might make all the difference. I need to kick myself into the habit of drinking more water, I'm lucky if I get 8oz per day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the need to use the bathroom more often. I'm only drinking 16 oz and I think that's a lot for me already. 64oz is 4x of mine. That's really great!

    Lauren's Comment above about taking our weight to measure our water intake is interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have been making good progress towards your goal. I think that adjusting your goal because you did not reach it before is a good idea. Hopefully you'll be able to make your goal this coming week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad that you feel you are having more energy than normal! I know when I'm tired and become hungry I generally don't eat or take a nap, I actually drink water! I've learned that I get the 'hungry' feeling I was having was really because my body was trying to tell me to drink water! If you've ever encountered that before try drinking water and let me know how it works! I honestly think how crazy it is that our bodies work more efficiently on more water consumption, however, they are still able to work properly even without adequate amounts of water, our bodies are truly a power-house of life, haha. Also, I know how you feel about constantly having to use the restroom, I was told once that if you are achieving the daily amounts of water intake you should be going to the restroom as often as every 2 to 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost never drink water, but I have been trying hard to do it this year. I have never really liked it, so it has been a challenge. I have also noticed that when I do drink water, I have to use the bathroom A LOT. I don't know if it is because my bladder is not used to all the water, or if it is the size of a pea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. I hate having to ALWAYS go to the bathroom when you are trying to teach yourself to drink more water! It's pretty annoying. I think it is one of the reasons why I never can fully get the hang of drinking that much water.

    ReplyDelete