About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Share & Voice: Household cleaning products

Cleaning products Royalty Free Stock Photo
I found an article on the Duluth News Tribune website about how our very own household cleaning products actually contain poisonous chemicals that have never even been tested!! The EPA is supposed to be regulating the use of these chemicals, but some products get released before being tested. So the next time you hear the advertisement that a clean house smells good, know that it is not safe to inhale such products. What I found interesting as well, is that the use of these cleaning products have been known to link to ADD, ADHD and OCD. It's disturbing how much the public is not informed on such issues...

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea that toxic cleaners were linked to ADHD and OCD! My nephew has ADHD, it makes me wonder if these chemicals have affected him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true. We have always been taught to think that a good smelling house means a clean house. I am one in the same. Whenever I clean my bathroom or kitchen I tend to use products with bleach because I can "smell the clean". I really should start looking into other products that are safer for the environment and for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not understand how these products can get away with being sold without being tested. I believe that these corporations need to be regulated more closely. You can not count on them to regulate themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is true. I posted an earlier blog entry on a website that tests your knowledge of label products. I think you probably seen it. Cleaning products and other chemicals can be dangerous and get away with out being tested. It's disturbing knowing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that a majority of household cleaning products are not that healthy or environmentally friendly to use. I haven't, however, ever heard of these chemicals being factors in developing ADD, ADHD, or OCD! I wonder why that is, as in why it affects some individuals more than others? That's nice to know that Duluth is looking out for its community and sees a concern to take action!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard this too many times before. We are supposed to use a warm damp cloth to clean surfaces of everything. I also have read in a magazine that you're supposed to open your windows for 10 minutes each month to let out all the toxins, even in the winter!

    ReplyDelete