About Me

My photo
I am a Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth. I love love LOVE the crisp smell that Fall brings, but also need the vitamin D that summer brings. I thoroughly enjoy photography and watching movies. To anyone that likes the outdoors, I'm sure we will get along quite well-- I dig fresh air :) I have a cat named Kozmo, who is quite crazy, and If it were more convenient at this time in my life, i'd have a dog as well. As you might conclude, I am an animal junky.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Advocacy Project: Healthy People/THOMAS

1. I chose objective 8-2Increase use of alternative modes of transportation to reduce motor vehicle emissions and improve the Nation’s air quality. Targets to meet were measured by use of bicycles, walking and transit use. According to the Progress Quotient Chart, we have moved 11% AWAY from the bicycling target, 59% TOWARDS the walking target, and 11% AWAY from the transit target.


2. The walking section (8b) made progress towards its target. However, the bicycling and transit targets were not met. There were no disparities available for objective 8-2. It was found challenging to measure the improvement in outdoor air quality. The FDA and CDC use a market-based approach that encourages newer forms of technology to control pollution. Unfortunately, a few issues make it difficult to accurately measure levels. Extreme weather conditions such as heat waves and hurricanes can alter the annual summary statistic, and not all countries have monitoring stations- so not all populations are accounted for.


3.



Title: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to improve commuting and transportation options.

Rep Blumenauer, Earl [OR-3] (introduced 7/21/2009) Cosponsors (16)
Latest Major Action: 7/21/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the Committee on Ways and Means, and in addition to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

Recommendation: Vote YES for H.R. 3271: Green Routes to Work Act

My Political Representative: Mike Opat

5 comments:

  1. I wonder why people are not using transit. Do you think that it takes a lot longer to use the bus than it is to drive or walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this exact same bill for the same healthy people goal! I think this a really good plan of action and it definitely fits in with the healthy people goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of our group members who are interested in this goal. Does this raise a question that is an issue impacting everyone's lives as college students? I do wonder why people are not riding the transit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great objective and I think there should be more bills like this out there. It's disappointing though to see that there people moving away from the target goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly feel the most common explanation I hear from people as to why they don't take the transit is the fact that they either don't like being on a bus with a large number of strangers or because driving to campus is faster and allows them to leave when they want. So if we could look at how we may be able to help those factors may be a help!

    ReplyDelete